2580 Southland Drive SW
Calgary, AB T2V 4J8
how can we treat Dental Caries?
If you are considering our caries management program here is what it has to offer. If you have already made up your mind to start then here are the principals. Lets get Started!
- Remove known areas of infection. This is the basis of dental treatment as most people know it, and for caries means removal of infected tooth structure and repair of the damaged tooth (yes, fillings!)
- Protect vulnerable teeth. One of the most common sites of infection is in the grooves and pits seen on the top surfaces of teeth (as much as 90%). Sealants when used for high risk teeth can help prevent new cavities from starting. Ask your dentist, are sealants right for you? It is also advisable to fix worn-out or broken dental-work as rough surfaces provide a nice location for bacteria to hide out!
- Fluoride application to re-mineralize damaged teeth. Fluoride can help to promote re-mineralization (repair) of teeth damaged by bacteria. Fluoride can also help to prevent bacteria from growing when applied topically! Ask your dental professional which type is best for you! We will customize the program to get the best result for you!
- Increase your ability to neutralize acids produced by bacteria: A buffering gel is provided as part of our caries treatment kit that helps you to neutralize those dangerous acids. This is best applied at night just before bed using your toothbrush.
- Prevent acid Production during the day. Xylitol gum when used regularly helps prevent bacterial growth and reduces production of acids by bacteria. By chewing gum you may reduce your risk of new cavities by as much as 30%! Xylitol gum also helps slow the growth of s. mutans! Don’t like gum? We also have lolly-pops as an alternative for your package!
- Maintenance of a cavity free mouth. As a dentist our job is to give you the tools to remain healthy. If you have dental caries, your risk is higher than the average individual that new cavities may appear. Special toothpastes, maintenance rinses and routine dental visits with dental X-rays to check for new dental decay are essential. Again, a schedule for dental evaluation and the best supplementary caries prevention aids will be selected to meet your individual needs.